X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ballistic Turret vs MOA scopes

Trying to decide whether I want to go the ballistic turret route or the MOA based scope route. Would appreciate some opinions and pro's and cons's! Thanks!

The Ballistic turret seems like a very simple system and makes shooting long range really easy at first glance ... however the turret is custom made for a specific caliber, bullet, velocity, ambient temperature and elevation above sea level. It locks you in to a narrow set of variables and there is where it works really well but that is where you handicap yourself.
    What happens when you want to hunt near the top of the mountains and deep in the valleys on the same day with very different temperatures? Or perhaps you switch bullet weight or brand or velocity next year? You will need a new Ballistic Turret for each change. That is why I choose to run a NightForce MOA turret. It just flat works with any load, caliber, elevation, etc. Heck I can even take the scope off the rifle and put it on a different rifle then back again if I had to.
    Bob Beck and the others on this site will be able to break it down more eloquently and fully than I but that is how I see it.

Comment

Originally posted by JustOneMoreShot View Post
      The Ballistic turret seems like a very simple system and makes shooting long range really easy at first glance ... however the turret is custom made for a specific caliber, bullet, velocity, ambient temperature and elevation above sea level. It locks you in to a narrow set of variables and there is where it works really well but that is where you handicap yourself.
      What happens when you want to hunt near the top of the mountains and deep in the valleys on the same day with very different temperatures? Or perhaps you switch bullet weight or brand or velocity next year? You will need a new Ballistic Turret for each change. That is why I choose to run a NightForce MOA turret. It just flat works with any load, caliber, elevation, etc. Heck I can even take the scope off the rifle and put it on a different rifle then back again if I had to.
      Bob Beck and the others on this site will be able to break it down more eloquently and fully than I but that is how I see it.
      Yes the Nightforce MOA system is the way to go for sure!

Comment

Another new option out there that I use and like a lot is using turret labels by Custom Turret Systems (http://customturretsystems.com/). They give you the same benefits as a ballistic turret at a fraction of the cost. That way if you want to switch the load, bullet, or even a new gun you can get a new turret for a very reasonable price. Or if you are going to an exotic hunt that is at a different elevation and temperature you can just order a new turret.

The nice thing about the turret labels is that you have the control to customize them the way you want.

Comment

Originally posted by JustOneMoreShot View Post
          Wow that seems like a lot to deal with on the ballistic turret side. Are you creating a drop chart then for you MOA system or I've seen the G7 pop up a lot as a good tool for calculating the MOA.

Comment

I have the G7BR2 laser rangefinder and use it with all my rifle systems. I bought it from Bob Beck and it is an invaluable tool for long range shooting for me. It doesn't matter if I am hunting in GA for deer at sea level, out west for elk in the Rocky Mountains, Alaska for sheep, or Africa. The laser and the NightForce MOA turret flat out work everywhere and it is super easy. Just input the data into the laser, range and it gives you the amount of drop in minutes of angle.
            I could see the value of having a ballistic drop compensated turret that was tuned for a specific load if you always hunt or shoot the same place. For instance either your favorite rifle range or a prairie dog town however you will still need to shoot a laser to get an accurate range to dial whether it is dial in MOA or dial in BDC shoot to distance.

I wonder about the turret tape systems. Can you peal it off the turret and somehow save it? Or do you need to buy a new tape each time you change load or bullet and then perhaps switch back to the original load?

Comment

You can't reuse it when you peel it off but when you buy it it comes with 4 or 5 of the same label so you can switch back and forth a few times.

Comment

I'll second the CTS labels. They make you plain turret a ballistic one, come with several so you can change a few times, are very reasonably priced.

Comment

Maybe I'm old fashioned and too stubborn to change, but I prefer the moa dial, a variety of drop charts and a quality range finder. Still, I use ballistic program on phone and update numerous times during a day, as conditions change. This way, I can add range, wind and look angle quickly, when an opportunity presents itself. I always have the range and windage dope card to fall back on, if the app spits out doubtful data. My son uses the labels and seems to like them, but his costs rise as he shoots in many altitudes, temperatures and uses several different bullets. To each, his own!

Comment

Working...
                  X